Cragside Gardens and Estate
Cragside in Northumberland was the home of Victorian armaments magnate and inventor,William Armstrong. Perched on a rocky crag above the Debdon burn, the house was the first in the world to be lit by electricity. The gardens and estate reflect the same grandeur of vision, with sheer, forested valley slopes and areas of labour-intensive carpet bedding.
The house is surrounded by one of the largest and most dramatic hand-made rock gardens in Europe — more like a mountain pass than the domestic setting for a few small alpines. England’s tallest
[9. Douglas fir soars above other woodland trees in the Pinetum below. Along the Dahlia Walk, 700 dahlias are planted annually, with 30 different varieties, in the brash, almost vulgar style of the 1880s.
The Hamilton Landscapes at Painshill Park, tucked away off the A3 in Surrey, were laid out by the Hon, some more information here. Charles Hamilton between 1738 and 1773. In the end, his ambitions for the garden bankrupted him and he was forced to retire to Bath. Beautifully restored over the last 20 years, this has all the elements of the classic Landscape garden — a serpentine and a 14-acre lake, as well as a Gothic temple, a ruined abbey, a Chinese bridge, a theatrical Turkish tent, a crystal grotto and a hermitage — although the original hermit was sacked for deserting his post for the local pub. The path through the garden is full of surprises, as vistas open out only to disappar, offering brief glimpses of the lake or buildings. In the Walled Garden, the American Roots exhibition (to 29th October) explores Charles Hamilton’s association with American growers in the 1700s.Plan visiting this beautiful place by cheking the best website.
Westbury Court Garden
Westbury Court, in Gloucestershire, is a rare British example of the brief fashion for Dutch water gardens that arose during the reign of William III (1689-1702). It is formal in style, with parallel canals framed by yew hedging and topiaried yew and box. Intriguingly, Westbury is a garden that has survived its house: the only remaining building is theTall Pavilion which stands looking down the Long Canal and is flanked by what is reputedly the oldest evergreen (holm) oak in England. The planting includes a box parterre and, at each end, a quincunx (laid out like the number five on a die) of domed standard Portuguese laurels and a thin-leafed, evergreen phillyrea. Fruit trees are trained on lattices up the redbrick walls and there is also an orchard.